Being a Knotty Girl is more than just having natural hair. It is a lifestyle. A Knotty Girl is the perfect blend of beauty, intelligence, style, fun, sass and class. You can find a Knotty Girl dancing on the bar but making sure she is hitting the books hard the next day. She can switch it up easily, rocking her curls and pearls or sneakers and a t-shirt. Whatever she does she will always be her number one influence and not let negativity get in her way. Whether Knotty or nice she is never afraid to bring out her kinky side. We set these standards for ourselves and challenge you to be the Knottiest you can everyday. Live your life, be free and whatever you do stay Knotty ;)



-xo Courtney & Darshanay

top

Monday, August 6, 2012

Know Us: Knottiversary!!!!



Happy knottiversary to Courtney and I!!! Today marks the day Courtney and I big chopped together!!! Big chopping my hair was one of my best decisions ever!!! My natural hair journey began towards the end of my senior year of high school. I was participating in show choir at the time and been wearing a lot of weaves for concerts performances. I knew for some time now that I been wanting to go natural, but I was not sure about taking the plunge to do the big chop. I had all the typical fears in the beginning. I thought my head was too big, I wouldn't look right with short hair or I simply didn't have "the face" to wear a short cut. Thinking back it all this sounds silly. What does having "the right face" even mean?

 Keeping my hair in weaves during the show choir season allowed me to start transitioning from relaxed to natural. After choir season was over, I began to wear wigs well into the summer. Wigs were great for a limited time but as my natural roots started sprouting and meeting in the middle with me relaxed ends, I became more anxious to cut the relaxed hair. To get myself excited about the big chop I searched online for blogs and watched a countless number of YouTube videos. My hesitation quickly turned into excitement and I was certain that I was ready to big chop. I can remember Courtney jumping out of Laverne(her car) and showing off her big chop. I was so excited for her and  I just knew I couldn't wait any longer. We quickly hopped in Laverne and went to the nearest hair salon. The stylist was not nearly as thrilled as I was about chopping all my hair off, she was very hesitant. As she begin to cut my hair all I could do was smile and think about all the great possibilities to come along with my natural hair. Knowing that I could run outside in the rain and not worry about my hair, sweat my hair out in the gym with no problem and tossing my satin hair cap to the side at night because I no longer have to wrap my hair every night. I just knew all that and more would be worth it. As soon as the stylist was finish cutting my hair. I quickly poured water on my head and watched my tiny curls sprout like a flower!! I was amazed to see that I had a little curl definition because I was fine and accepting of the fact that I may not have any curls at all. Big chopping was liberating and such an awesome risk to take when going through your natural journey.

                                                                          -Darsh







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...