Being a Knotty Girl is more than just having natural hair. It is a lifestyle. A Knotty Girl is the perfect blend of beauty, intelligence, style, fun, sass and class. You can find a Knotty Girl dancing on the bar but making sure she is hitting the books hard the next day. She can switch it up easily, rocking her curls and pearls or sneakers and a t-shirt. Whatever she does she will always be her number one influence and not let negativity get in her way. Whether Knotty or nice she is never afraid to bring out her kinky side. We set these standards for ourselves and challenge you to be the Knottiest you can everyday. Live your life, be free and whatever you do stay Knotty ;)



-xo Courtney & Darshanay

top

Monday, September 17, 2012

Good HEAD: Double Trouble


The cutest set of twins we know!



Kendra
 Introduce yourself! 

 Kendra: So a little about myself, my name is Kendra. I am a senior at Howard University. I am a natural girl on a quest to have long, healthy hair which is something I have never achieved with a relaxer. 

Ashley: My name is Ashley and I attend Virginia Commonwealth University. I love food, traveling, and all things girly.

How long have you been natural?
Kendra: I have been fully natural for almost a year and a half (and loving every second)! 

Ashley: I have been fully natural for ten months strong.

Did you transition or big chop?
Kendra: I transitioned for about 7 and a half months. During my transition I did not practice the most healthy hair care. I often straightened my hair. Eventually the two textures became too much to handle and I opted to get braids. Once I took the braids down my hair was a tangled mess! I could not transition any longer and the day after, on March 17, 2011, I big chopped! 
Ashley

Two things inspired me to transition: my sister and the beautiful naturals on my campus.

Ashley: I transitioned for a little over a year before I finally parted ways with my relaxed tresses. I transitioned with braids and low manipulation styles and occasionally straightening.


What’s your regimen? 
Kendra: I wash my hair once a week using Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo (pink bottle). I follow that up with Shea Moisture African Black Soap Purification Hair Masque as my conditioner or deep conditioner. After washing and conditioning I set my hair for a style using Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in, an oil, and Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie.  At night I twist my hair to keep it stretched with minimal tangles. If I ever want a sleek look I use EcoStyler Gel to smooth down my edges.I do have a pretty consistent regimen, however,  I am always trying new products.

Ashley: My hair regimen is very similar to my sister’s. Lately I have been experimenting with deep conditioning before a wash session. My hair loves thick and creamy products and low manipulation styles. My go to style is a twistout.

Did going natural change your personal style?

Kendra: I would say going natural has made me more confident which in turn made my style more confident. I like to wear bright colors and bold accessories to match my big hair! 

Ashley: Going natural hasn’t changed my personal style. It has enhanced it though. Since my hair is so versatile I can tailor my hair to whatever I’m wearing that day.

If your hair could talk what would it say?
Kendra: "Thank you for getting to know me!"

I am not bashing relaxers in any way. I mean I had one for a very long time. But I am grateful I got the chance to really get to know MY hair and accept it for what it is, kinks and all. 

Ashley: “Wash me!”

School is getting real already!

Do you consider yourself a Knotty Girl? And why?
Kendra: Yes I definitely do! I am a confident, free-spirited person. I accept myself for who I am and I definitely love life. I try to challenge myself to be a better person every day.

Ashley: Of course I consider myself a knotty girl. I go against the norm and I am learning more about myself and my hair all the time.

What do you love most about your good head?(Hair Everyone Adores Desires)

Kendra: I love my good head because it makes me stand out in the crowd. I love the versatility of natural hair! I am enjoying every step of the journey.  



Ashley:
I love my good head because it is very unique to me. My hair is different from my sister’s and any other natural’s and I love that. No one can be a better you than you! 



Aren't they just adorable? share your thoughts below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...