Being a Knotty Girl is more than just having natural hair. It is a lifestyle. A Knotty Girl is the perfect blend of beauty, intelligence, style, fun, sass and class. You can find a Knotty Girl dancing on the bar but making sure she is hitting the books hard the next day. She can switch it up easily, rocking her curls and pearls or sneakers and a t-shirt. Whatever she does she will always be her number one influence and not let negativity get in her way. Whether Knotty or nice she is never afraid to bring out her kinky side. We set these standards for ourselves and challenge you to be the Knottiest you can everyday. Live your life, be free and whatever you do stay Knotty ;)



-xo Courtney & Darshanay

top

Sunday, August 12, 2012

BC Reloaded: Theara


Last but not least we have Theara Coleman, a senior at Howard University, sharing why she Big Chopped Twice!!



Why did you bigchop?
My first big chop was planned. I had natural hair up until I was about 16 years old, and then I got a relaxer. I honestly just missed Thw versatility of my natural hair, so after about 6 months of transitioning I cut it all off!


When did you big chop? 
April 19th 2010, and again on May 31st 2012




What made you big chop again? 
I adored my afro. It was literally the first thing people noticed about me, and sometimes the only thing they noticed. It had taken on a life of its own. I realized that I had started getting lazy in taking.care of my hair. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision. I wanted to go back to my original hair color, because I had died it about 3 Times. I also wanted to separate myself from my hair. I wanted people to look at my face more, lol!


How did you feel? What was your reaction? 
I felt liberated! It's really freeing to not have to stick to a strict hair regimen, and twisting it all the time. I was shocked at how pretty I felt with almost no hair. I got to play up my makeup a lot more and that has been my favorite part.


What are you doing to take care of your hair?
I wash it with a sulfate free shampoo about twice a week. I also put an oil mix my Mom makes on my hair after using Karen's body beautiful leave in conditioner. I brush it sometimes but I don't have to that often. 


Do your regret your decision?
Not at all! I feel like I'm free to make any decision I want with the future of my hair because I'm starting from ground zero.


What words of encouragement would you give someone contemplating the big chop? 
Go for it! It's an excercise of patience watching it grow, but it makes you feel so connected to the growth. It gives you a level of control to be able decide what it is that you want to achieve with your natural hair. It's beautiful!








No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...